Our Business Sustainability Principles
For our business to be sustainable in the long term we must carry out all our activities in ways that achieve our current business objectives without unreasonably compromising our ability to meet our future objectives.
We will therefore manage our business in accordance with sustainability principles that consider our specific expectations for value, our people and communities, health and safety, the environment and our reputation.
- Operate in accordance with a management framework that integrates our sustainability principles into all our business practices.
- Have a long-term business plan that takes into account the future effects of our current activities and decisions.
- Consider the global and national business environment, our shareholder's expectations, and factors unique to our business and operating locations, in our plans and management practices.
- Have resilient objectives, strategies, operational and risk management practices based on sound information and analysis.
- Acknowledge our responsibilities, as a leading producer and supplier of energy, to enhance security of supply, availability of affordable energy to support economic prosperity and social wellbeing, and protect New Zealand's environment.
- Operate ethically and in accordance with best-practice principles of corporate governance.
- Respect human rights, cultures, customs and values in our dealings with our people and all our relevant stakeholders.
- Support the development, safety, health and wellbeing of our people and our communities.
- Engage with our stakeholders openly, clearly and honestly.
- Set specific business sustainability objectives and measure ourselves against these.